Sex is a feel good activity which makes it more than just a reproductive process. Aside from the physical aspect, it also involves hormones which impact our brain, blood circulation and blood pressure.
Here’s how sex affects you along with some effects explained :
- The effects of sex is almost like taking cocaine because they both involve the reward centre of the brain. Caffeine, nicotine and chocolate also stimulate the reward centre.
- Neurochemicals released during sex help forge emotions, attachment to your partner and even love.
- Oxytocin a hormone that’s released during sex has been found to have pain-relieving properties. It is also the hormone that helps mothers and babies bond.
- People who’ve just had sexual intercourse deal better with stressful situations such as public speaking by lowering blood pressure.
- After men ejaculate, it’s normal for them to become sleepy because their prefrontal cortex unwinds along with the release of oxytocin and serotonin.
- Undiagnosed mental illness could have an effect on a person’s libido because of fluctuating levels of dopamine.
- Having an orgasm causes activity in the emotional parts of the brain which is also the areas that antidepressants work on.