Last Updated on
Warming up before exercise is an important first step that is oft-times ignored. It prepares your body for the demands of activity as muscles and joints will not respond as easily while cold.
This routine should take no more than five minutes and, if you are in a hurry, you can choose just to do only a few of the exercises listed here.
1. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and feet pointing forward.
2. Place your hands on your hips.
3. Circle your hips 10 times in a clockwise direction as if drawing a small circle with the tip of your tailbone.
4. Repeat 10 times in the opposite direction.
1. Stand with your feet together and your weight evenly distributed over both legs.
2. As you push the toes of your right foot into the floor, lift your right heel.
3. Using your toes as a pivot, circle your ankle 10 times in a clockwise direction and 10 times in an anti-clockwise direction.
4. Repeat the exercise with the left foot.
1. Stand tall with your feet together and your arms by your sides.
2. As you sway gently to your right, step your right leg to the side and allow your left leg to follow, so that you are standing with your feet together again.
3. Repeat the movement on the other side: sway gently to your left, with your left leg stepping and your right leg following.
4. Continue stepping in this way for at least two minutes.
1. Stand with your with together and your arms hanging down in front of you with the fingers of your two hands interlocked.
2. Inhale and raise your arms above your head, turning the palms upwards as you do so.
3. Twist your torso smoothly from thc waist to face to the right.
4. Take 3 or 4 normal breaths before turning to face forwards again.
5. Repeat the exercise by twisting to the left.
1. Gently shake your hands, keeping your wrists and fingers loose. Do this about 20 times.
2. Then, keeping your hands, elbows and shoulders relaxed, shake your whole arms about 20 times.
3. Finally, let your whole body bounce up and down around 20 times, keeping the limbs loose and relaxed.
1. Bring your feet together, bending slightly forward and gently placing your hands just above your knees.
2. Bend your knees a little and slowly circle the knees 10 times in one direction, using your hands for support.
3. Repeat the exercise 10 times in the opposite direction.